A welcome treat at the February meeting was Don Porter’s [AF5QD] presentation on Back to Basics – Using a Multimeter in the Hamshack. He discussed using a multimeter for basic troubleshooting on radio hardware and antenna systems, how to perform continuity testing on transmission lines, and safety precautions to take (for example a static grounding mat). He spent some time discussing using an antenna analyzer, and a few finer points of testing electrical components (like using denatured alcohol to clean out connections before testing). Some of the basic uses he discussed was using a multimeter to test power supplies, finding a faulty fuse, and checking recently installed cable connectors. Official minutes of the meeting can be found here.
CMSARA Event Calendar
- Window to Submit Proposals to Host Contacts with Space Station Crew Opens October 1
- The K7RA Solar Update
- Puerto Rico Amateurs Beefing Up Hurricane Preparedness
- New Beta Version WSJT-X 2.0 Boasts Major Changes
- The Doctor Will See You Now!
- AMSAT Announces 2018 Board of Directors Election Results
- Nominations Sought for 2018 ARRL Bill Leonard Award
- Radio City Announces Closing, Owners to Retire
- South Carolina Amateur Radio Volunteers Assist with Emergency Communication
- FCC Grants ARRL Temporary Waiver Request to Permit PACTOR 4 Use in Hurricane Relief